Sunday, March 02, 2008

1900 Journal

about two or three months ago, at an auction, I won a box that contained this wonderful journal. I did not know it was in there. two ladies approached me wanting the journal, but I did not sell it. it is very interesting. it's basically contains information of Mr. Woodard's life and struggles here in St. Louis back in the 1900s. he wrote about the big fire that took place in downtown St. Louis. he wrote about an Admiral Dewey and his wife. he also mentioned his struggles with work and how much he would make which if I remember correctly I think he said his weekly wages were around $15.00 to $16.00. he then would send some of this money to a woman named Anna. he mentioned his wheels which I believe he was referring to his bike.

I went to get it appraised today to see if it had any value and it does not. even though it has no monetary value it's a treasure to me. Mr. Woodard only wrote in this journal for six months. Jan to June and then there was no more........

I wish I would know more about him. did he go back home? did he stay and live here the rest of his life. the last comments he entered were that he had gotten sick. I hope nothing terrible happened to him, but I will never know...................
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

missy j said...

what a treasure...
missy