Thursday, August 18, 2005

I found TREASURE

Okay, okay it really isn't treasure, but I guess to my family and I it is and has been. A few years ago, when I still was single and lived on the south side of Chicago I used to love to frequent my local thrift store. I enjoyed looking through all the racks trying to find the perfect old jeans, big old suit jackets, old purses and even once in a great while I would find that perfect ring or necklace. Usually, right before I left I used to look for old plates, glasses and anything else that seemed kind of interesting.

And my point is???? Well, one day long ago on one of my adventures I found THE PLATE. No, it did not have anything fancy on it and it wasn't lined with gold or anything like that. It was just a simple oval plate. In the middle of the plate it has a picture of a girl wearing clogs. Seriously, it's a very simple plate. The strange thing about this plate is that when I brought it home everyone in my household, at that time, fell in love with it. Now, I came from a family of boys and it still is a family of all boys. So it's kind of weird to think that even my brothers loved this plate.

A couple of months ago, when my mom finally came to visit me the one thing that I requested was for her to bring me THE PLATE. My mom always mentions that anytime one of my brothers wanted to eat they would always ask for that plate. Even my dad loves that plate. WHAT IS UP WITH THIS PLATE.

Well, I have had it now for a couple of months. To tell you the truth when I go to the cupboard to reach in for a plate out of all the plates I can choose guess which one catches my eye.............. I don't know if I love it more now because of the story behind it. I must have liked it when I first saw it because I bought it. Many years have past and my taste has changed, but I still love this plate. There is just something special about it.

I wonder if the person who made the plate loved it as much as my family does. If they only knew......

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good story Angie, I wanna see it too! Glad it survived all those years and you still have it, now your boys will want THE plate!
You just never know what you might find some days....

Anonymous said...

What a cute story, Angelica. When I was a kid we had a set of melmac plates and one of the plates got a scorch mark on the bottom. We used to call it the "lucky" plate and hoped we would get it.